Cardiff and Glamorgan Memorial Park and Crematorium
Open Day - Sunday 8th June 2014
Christmas Memorial Service - Sunday 7th December 2014
Donation of bench and clock by Green Willow Funerals
Howard Hodgson of Memoria (VOG) Ltd. accepted the kind donation of a bench and clock from John Bettles of Greenwillow Funerals
Cardiff and Glamorgan Memorial Park and Crematorium is owned by Memoria Ltd. Memoria's directors have over 70 years collective experience in looking after bereaved families. So we know that true success is not just measured by a successful profit and loss account but by the excellent standards of service and facility that the public have a right to receive. This facility is consequently dedicated to distinguished service in a beautiful setting.
When we incorporated Memoria in 2003 we adopted this mission statement and it has been our sincere intention to operate to it ever since:
"Memoria Limited has a mission to provide exceptional standards of service and facility to the bereaved families that use its Crematoria and Gardens of Remembrance. This is because it is not only commercially sensible to do so, but it is also an essential act of human decency towards people who have just lost a much-loved member of their family or friend. Bereavement is the price we must all pay for the joy of loving and being loved. The loss of a loved one is the most stressful, unhappy and traumatic experience that we will face in life.
We at Memoria realise that we are unable to eradicate such pain, but we also know it is our responsibility and duty to be as efficient, kind, respectful and polite as humanly possible to our clients at their time of grief and thereafter when they return to remember their cherished relatives or friends. Therefore it is our aim to provide immaculately clean and tidy facilities in tranquil and beautiful surroundings attended by people who are sincerely dedicated to our mission and who take a great pride in their work as a result."
Chairman & Chief Operating Officer
The Facilities at Cardiff and Glamorgan
The Cardiff and Glamorgan Memorial Park and Crematorium is located near Wenvoe Castle, Barry, South Wales and has been designed to be in keeping with the Vale's surroundings, using, where possible, local materials and products such as Welsh slate and stone.
The memorial gardens offer memorialisation made exclusively from either Welsh lime or sandstone and so will blend perfectly with the surrounding beauty and rural aspect of the Vale.
It is also hoped to add natural burial and traditional flat stone burial sections and additional planning permission is being sought accordingly. Traditional flat stone burial is conventional but headstones are set flat into the earth and so do not disturb the tranquil view. The natural burial section will cater for families who wish for burial in a bio-degradable coffin in an unmarked grave, which is located by the use of a GIS tracking system. This form of burial is proving to be in greater demand than ever before.
The chapel seats 100 people and has the potential to stand and seat 200 by including the foyer space, and can potentially accommodate services of over 400 people on the site by piping the service outside under the porte-cochere. It may be used for cremation, burial or memorial services. Parking for 100 vehicles is also available.
Within the chapel there is a hearing loop to assist those with hearing difficulties; a Wesley music system, which downloads music from anywhere in the world via the internet; an organ to accompany those wishing to sing hymns; a public address system; two plasma televisions for pre-recorded eulogies or silent photographic presentations during the service and web cam facilities for internet viewing for those unable to attend a service.
The subtle use of colour is intended to be sober and serene rather than depressing and morbid. Views from the huge picture window in the chapel are restful, rural and appropriate.
A funeral service may be a religious commitment to whichever faith. It may not be. Either way, for the bereaved family and friends it is a very sad and deeply personal experience. Therefore, it is essential that on the day they feel that they have the chapel to themselves and are not merely part of a tragic conveyor belt.
Service times are available at 45 minutes intervals and can be extended upon request. Services can also be booked outside of normal hours and at weekends. The grounds, which include the memorial garden on the 20 acre site, will be open to the public all year round.
It is always our intention to give distinguished service in a beautiful setting. Our staff members are selected to ensure that our clients always get precisely that. Please approach any of them if you wish to ask about anything.
Opening HoursMemorial Park:
Weekdays, 9.00am to 5.00pm
Saturdays & Sundays, 10.00am - 4.00pm
Bank Holidays, 10.00am - 4.00pm
Weekdays, 9.00am to 5.00pm
The Cardiff and Glamorgan memorial Park and Crematorium is situated on the A4050 Port Road East, just north of Barry.
From Cardiff area:
follow signs to Cardiff International Airport. at Culverhouse Cross turn left down the A4050, after 2 miles, at the A4321 roundabout (Barry Docks link road) turn right and stay on the A4050. the Memorial Park is immediately on your right.
From Penarth / Dinas Powys:
take the A4055 Cardiff road towards Barry. at the A4231 just before Barry, turn right, after 1.5 miles, turn left at the roundabout, onto the A4050. the Memorial Park is immediately on your right.
From Llantwit Major / St Athan / Cowbridge:
follow the signs to Barry. at the roundabout where Five Mile Lane meets the A4050, take Port Road (A4050), after 2 miles, as you leave the built up area, the entrance to the Memorial Park is on your left.
To pause, hold your mouse over a testimonial.
To reveal all, click here.
- "Dear sirs,
We held a ceremony for my late father on 20th March, in which I have to send my appreciation for such a lovely setting and service. It was such a relief with the professionalism that was received in such a distressing time."
Miss R Thomas
Daughter of the late Ronald Douglas Thomas.
- "We write to thank you and your team for the kindness that was shown at the funeral service of the late Peter Staples on Wednesday 9th May 2012. Unfortunately Mr Staples did not have any direct family who could attend the service. Without us requesting their presence, the Crematorium staff joined our team of bearers and sat in the Chapel for the duration of the Service which was greatly appreciated. The respect shown to Mr Staples was of the utmost by your team; we would be grateful if you could please pass on our sincere thanks to those involved and relay our sentiments to them.
We at Green Willow make every effort to fulfil the deceased's wishes and provide a dignified service. Their support and kindness demonstrates the importance of this aspect of our work and through the work of all who are involved we are able to maintain this important service."
With grateful thanks and kindest regards. Yours sincerely,
Paul Dowding, Acting on behalf of Green Willow Funerals
- "I want to take this opportunity to commend to you Jane and your staff at Cardiff and Glamorgan Memorial Park and Crematorium. Since its opening I have had many occasions to conduct funeral services with Memoria and have nothing but praise for the friendliness and professionalism I and my bereaved families have received."
Rev Duncan Ballantyne
- "I want to let you know that I have received very favourable reports from a number of families concerning the Cardiff and Glamorgan Memorial Park and Crematorium. Its setting, the building and the friendliness and support of the staff. I too would like to say that Jane, Claire, Craig and Chris have been very helpful and professional in their duties."
Rev Clive Jones, Minister of Salem Baptist Church, Barry
- "Just a note to thank you all for your help and support on Monday at Eddie's funeral. There had been so much planning and I had spent hours with the family and many hours getting the arrangements just right. You are all so helpful and I just want to thank you."
Lorraine Barratt, Humanist Celebrant
- "The facilities & whole experience worked very well for us, assisted by beautiful weather."
- "The day was a bit of a blur there was a nice feeling of calmness and it was nice to have the photographs on the screens as if you were personally saying goodbye."
- "Everything went smoothly and would recommend the Memorial Park to others & it was nice that it was local."
- "We were very pleased with the service we received."
- "Having use many Crematoriums as an attendee, I found the atmosphere at a Memoria by far the best. My beloved Dad's Funeral was made all the easier because of those involved in providing Funeral Services. We were not made to feel rushed at the end of the service, & neither was the atmosphere in Memoria "cold" or discomforting. The layout of the hall & surrounding grounds gave us a sense of peace & comfort to know that Dad was "sent off" in such a lovely atmosphere & outstandingly beautiful surroundings. Many thanks for the exemplary service from all involved. I would also like to add that the after care by Memoria of their services/facilities does not feel intrusive. All letters are personal & comfortingly worded. I would highly recommend Memoria. Kindest regards Jacqueline Williams."
- "The Cardiff & Glamorgan Memorial Park was beautifully clean & well maintained & a lovely place. Thank you."
- "All the family agreed that the service & the facilities were excellent."
- "Pleasant & intimate surroundings in which to say a last goodbye to a loved one. Very pleased with all aspects of the day."
- "A Lovely place & setting."
- "A lovely funeral service in a well looked after setting."
- "Lovely place & setting."
- "A beautifully designed landscape that feels miles from anywhere."
- "The whole family were very very pleased with everything. Chapel and surrounding areas were outstanding. Excellent."
- "Very happy with the service received. It's good to have a crematorium here in Barry & not to have to travel miles."
- "I was very impressed with everything. The chapel was very comfortable and welcoming particularly with the organist. A warm feeling all round, so good at such a time."
- "Lovely Gardens."
- "So glad I picked you for my Dad's Service. A nice place & people."
- "Be interesting to see the gardens in the spring."
- "I was very pleased with the service you gave."
- "Best Facilities in the Area."
- "My Brother's cremation was handled professionally and with dignity. Thank-you. We loved the simplicity and serenity of both the building and the grounds. The gardens are beautifully planted."
- "Excellent all round service & provision for scattering of ashes, very relaxed (under the circumstances)"
- "Excellent. The best religious-Hindu farewell our Mother was given on her cremation by all the staff of 'Memoria'. We thank you all."
- "Not a happy day but a memorable one in as much as it went off perfectly with nothing to regret. Helped by all the staff at such a sad time for the family."
- "I was very pleased with the service at the Cardiff & Glamorgan Memorial Park. It couldn't have been better."
- "The environment was very comforting and the service excellent."
- "A bright and clean environment which helped make a very difficult day more bearable particularly for my young Grandchildren."
- "My family & friends were very impressed with the crematorium and we were very happy with the service."
- "Everything excellent."
- "The family were treated with total respect and happy that our Fatherís send off was done with compassion and was done with feeling."
- "Very happy with the dignified approach to the service."
- "I have used your crematorium 3 times in the past year, unfortunately, but always been pleased with every part of the service and surroundings."
- "We would like to express our thanks to all the staff of 'Memoria' for providing their most professional and personal service, this extended to the days before the service when we were shown around the building and the grounds and all aspects of what was to come explained and fears allayed.
The day of the service itself was carried out with such ease and total respect. We also used the web cam service as my daughter is in Australia and this gave her a live link with a true sense of being part of her Granddad's farewell.
Little did we know at the time that the web cam, was to give solace to my Dad's brother, who didn't make the service in time (due to car breakdown on route from London).
We were able to show him the recording privately at home and review the day for ourselves also, which gave great comfort in all the choices we had made for the day!
I would recommend the web cam for any of the above reasons, as sometimes the unforeseen can happen!
I would like to finish on the note that we received such warm comments from family and friends on the day and since of what a good farewell Dad had...
This made us proud that we chose 'Memoria' for my Dad's final journey."
Kind regards, Paula Harris
- "Organised so that it felt private and dignified. As pleasant an experience as possible under such difficult circumstances."
- "The service received from your staff was outstanding. We were shown nothing but empathy and respect from start to finish. Your facilities were immaculate. Our family sends our deepest thanks to you all."
- "Very well organised in a lovely setting. Plenty of car parking and clear signage."
- "A short journey to the Cardiff & Glamorgan facility is less stressful than the longer dash to Coychurch or Thornhill when roads are congested.
We were really pleased with the way the service was held and the way the service was conducted.
I thought that the level of service given at my Husband's funeral excellent."