Cardiff and Glamorgan Memorial Park and Crematorium
Christmas Memorial Service - Sunday 7th December 2014
Cardiff and Glamorgan Memorial Park and Crematorium is owned by Memoria Ltd. Memoria's directors have over 70 years collective experience in looking after bereaved families. So we know that true success is not just measured by a successful profit and loss account but by the excellent standards of service and facility that the public have a right to receive. This facility is consequently dedicated to distinguished service in a beautiful setting.
When we incorporated Memoria in 2003 we adopted this mission statement and it has been our sincere intention to operate to it ever since:
"Memoria Limited has a mission to provide exceptional standards of service and facility to the bereaved families that use its Crematoria and Gardens of Remembrance. This is because it is not only commercially sensible to do so, but it is also an essential act of human decency towards people who have just lost a much-loved member of their family or friend. Bereavement is the price we must all pay for the joy of loving and being loved. The loss of a loved one is the most stressful, unhappy and traumatic experience that we will face in life.
We at Memoria realise that we are unable to eradicate such pain, but we also know it is our responsibility and duty to be as efficient, kind, respectful and polite as humanly possible to our clients at their time of grief and thereafter when they return to remember their cherished relatives or friends. Therefore it is our aim to provide immaculately clean and tidy facilities in tranquil and beautiful surroundings attended by people who are sincerely dedicated to our mission and who take a great pride in their work as a result."
Chairman & Chief Operating Officer
The Facilities at Cardiff and Glamorgan
The Cardiff and Glamorgan Memorial Park and Crematorium is located near Wenvoe Castle, Barry, South Wales and has been designed to be in keeping with the Vale's surroundings, using, where possible, local materials and products such as Welsh slate and stone.
The memorial gardens offer memorialisation made exclusively from either Welsh lime or sandstone and so will blend perfectly with the surrounding beauty and rural aspect of the Vale.
It is also hoped to add natural burial and traditional flat stone burial sections and additional planning permission is being sought accordingly. Traditional flat stone burial is conventional but headstones are set flat into the earth and so do not disturb the tranquil view. The natural burial section will cater for families who wish for burial in a bio-degradable coffin in an unmarked grave, which is located by the use of a GIS tracking system. This form of burial is proving to be in greater demand than ever before.
The chapel seats 100 people and has the potential to stand and seat 200 by including the foyer space, and can potentially accommodate services of over 400 people on the site by piping the service outside under the porte-cochere. It may be used for cremation, burial or memorial services. Parking for 100 vehicles is also available.
Within the chapel there is a hearing loop to assist those with hearing difficulties; a Wesley music system, which downloads music from anywhere in the world via the internet; an organ to accompany those wishing to sing hymns; a public address system; two plasma televisions for pre-recorded eulogies or silent photographic presentations during the service and web cam facilities for internet viewing for those unable to attend a service.
The subtle use of colour is intended to be sober and serene rather than depressing and morbid. Views from the huge picture window in the chapel are restful, rural and appropriate.
A funeral service may be a religious commitment to whichever faith. It may not be. Either way, for the bereaved family and friends it is a very sad and deeply personal experience. Therefore, it is essential that on the day they feel that they have the chapel to themselves and are not merely part of a tragic conveyor belt.
Service times are available at 45 minutes intervals and can be extended upon request. Services can also be booked outside of normal hours and at weekends. The grounds, which include the memorial garden on the 20 acre site, will be open to the public all year round.
It is always our intention to give distinguished service in a beautiful setting. Our staff members are selected to ensure that our clients always get precisely that. Please approach any of them if you wish to ask about anything.
Opening HoursMemorial Park:
Weekdays, 9.00am to 5.00pm
Saturdays & Sundays, 10.00am - 4.00pm
Bank Holidays, 10.00am - 4.00pm
Weekdays, 9.00am to 5.00pm
The Cardiff and Glamorgan memorial Park and Crematorium is situated on the A4050 Port Road East, just north of Barry.
From Cardiff area:
follow signs to Cardiff International Airport. at Culverhouse Cross turn left down the A4050, after 2 miles, at the A4321 roundabout (Barry Docks link road) turn right and stay on the A4050. the Memorial Park is immediately on your right.
From Penarth / Dinas Powys:
take the A4055 Cardiff road towards Barry. at the A4231 just before Barry, turn right, after 1.5 miles, turn left at the roundabout, onto the A4050. the Memorial Park is immediately on your right.
From Llantwit Major / St Athan / Cowbridge:
follow the signs to Barry. at the roundabout where Five Mile Lane meets the A4050, take Port Road (A4050), after 2 miles, as you leave the built up area, the entrance to the Memorial Park is on your left.
To pause, hold your mouse over a testimonial.
To reveal all, click here.
- "Dear sirs,
We held a ceremony for my late father on 20th March, in which I have to send my appreciation for such a lovely setting and service. It was such a relief with the professionalism that was received in such a distressing time."
Miss R Thomas
Daughter of the late Ronald Douglas Thomas.
- "We write to thank you and your team for the kindness that was shown at the funeral service of the late Peter Staples on Wednesday 9th May 2012. Unfortunately Mr Staples did not have any direct family who could attend the service. Without us requesting their presence, the Crematorium staff joined our team of bearers and sat in the Chapel for the duration of the Service which was greatly appreciated. The respect shown to Mr Staples was of the utmost by your team; we would be grateful if you could please pass on our sincere thanks to those involved and relay our sentiments to them.
We at Green Willow make every effort to fulfil the deceased's wishes and provide a dignified service. Their support and kindness demonstrates the importance of this aspect of our work and through the work of all who are involved we are able to maintain this important service."
With grateful thanks and kindest regards. Yours sincerely,
Paul Dowding, Acting on behalf of Green Willow Funerals
- "I want to take this opportunity to commend to you Jane and your staff at Cardiff and Glamorgan Memorial Park and Crematorium. Since its opening I have had many occasions to conduct funeral services with Memoria and have nothing but praise for the friendliness and professionalism I and my bereaved families have received."
Rev Duncan Ballantyne
- "I want to let you know that I have received very favourable reports from a number of families concerning the Cardiff and Glamorgan Memorial Park and Crematorium. Its setting, the building and the friendliness and support of the staff. I too would like to say that Jane, Claire, Craig and Chris have been very helpful and professional in their duties."
Rev Clive Jones, Minister of Salem Baptist Church, Barry
- "Just a note to thank you all for your help and support on Monday at Eddie's funeral. There had been so much planning and I had spent hours with the family and many hours getting the arrangements just right. You are all so helpful and I just want to thank you."
Lorraine Barratt, Humanist Celebrant
- "The facilities & whole experience worked very well for us, assisted by beautiful weather."
- "The day was a bit of a blur there was a nice feeling of calmness and it was nice to have the photographs on the screens as if you were personally saying goodbye."
- "Everything went smoothly and would recommend the Memorial Park to others & it was nice that it was local."
- "We were very pleased with the service we received."
- "Having use many Crematoriums as an attendee, I found the atmosphere at a Memoria by far the best. My beloved Dad's Funeral was made all the easier because of those involved in providing Funeral Services. We were not made to feel rushed at the end of the service, & neither was the atmosphere in Memoria "cold" or discomforting. The layout of the hall & surrounding grounds gave us a sense of peace & comfort to know that Dad was "sent off" in such a lovely atmosphere & outstandingly beautiful surroundings. Many thanks for the exemplary service from all involved. I would also like to add that the after care by Memoria of their services/facilities does not feel intrusive. All letters are personal & comfortingly worded. I would highly recommend Memoria. Kindest regards Jacqueline Williams." (JW)
- "Dignified." (CC)
- "The Cardiff & Glamorgan Memorial Park was beautifully clean & well maintained & a lovely place. Thank you." (WS)
- "All the family agreed that the service & the facilities were excellent."
- "Pleasant & intimate surroundings in which to say a last goodbye to a loved one. Very pleased with all aspects of the day." (HP)
- "A Lovely place & setting." (JW)
- "A lovely funeral service in a well looked after setting." (IR)
- "Lovely place & setting." (AS)
- "A beautifully designed landscape that feels miles from anywhere." (AB)
- "The whole family were very very pleased with everything. Chapel and surrounding areas were outstanding. Excellent." (LK)
- "Very happy with the service received. It's good to have a crematorium here in Barry & not to have to travel miles." (RG)
- "I was very impressed with everything. The chapel was very comfortable and welcoming particularly with the organist. A warm feeling all round, so good at such a time." (JP)
- "Lovely Gardens." (OW)
- "So glad I picked you for my Dad's Service. A nice place & people." (BD)
- "Dear Claire, Just a note to thank you for all the support and help you gave at a very difficult time." (J&SH)
- "Dear Claire, Thank you and Jane very much indeed for your kind help and hospitality yesterday when I managed yo make my battery flat in your car park. With kind regards." (FD)
- "Be interesting to see the gardens in the spring."
- "I was very pleased with the service you gave." (DB)
- "All the arrangements were carried out in a business like and satisfactory manner." (SD)
- "Best Facilities in the Area." (MG)
- "Just to say myself and my family could not fault anything concerning my daughter's cremation. Excellent. Well done." (NP)
- "We loved the simplicity and serenity of both the building and the grounds. The gardens are beautifully planted." (GL)
- "My Brother's cremation was handled professionally and with dignity. Thank-you. " (MT)
- "I was very pleased with the service at the Cardiff & Glamorgan Memorial Park. It couldn't have been better." (JS)
- "Excellent all round service & provision for scattering of ashes, very relaxed (under the circumstances)" (RW)
- "Excellent. The best religious-Hindu farewell our Mother was given on her cremation by all the staff of 'Memoria'. We thank you all." (KK)
- "To Claire, The family of Bernard Gibbs (Deceased) would like to thank you for everything that you did for us on the day. Everyone that came thought it was very nice & elaborated on it. Thanks once again for all your help it was much appreciated." (PG)
- "Dear All, Just wanted to say thank you all so much for your patience kindness & help at such a sad time. Everything we asked you sorted for us even a table to stand the flower garden on and allowing the little wheel barrow into the Chapel. Your kindness is appreciated more than you know. Thank you. With love from Julie, Mum and family xx" (ND)
- "Not a happy day but a memorable one in as much as it went off perfectly with nothing to regret. Helped by all the staff at such a sad time for the family." (BG)
- "A bright and clean environment which helped make a very difficult day more bearable particularly for my young Grandchildren." (VD)
- "The environment was very comforting and the service excellent." (AB)
- "Everything excellent." (HR)
- "The family were treated with total respect and happy that our Father's send off was done with compassion and was done with feeling." (EW)
- "My family & friends were very impressed with the crematorium and we were very happy with the service." (RO)
- "Very happy with the dignified approach to the service." (VS)
- "Very nice service. Would highly recommend." (TQ)
- "I have used your crematorium 3 times in the past year, unfortunately, but always been pleased with every part of the service and surroundings." (NB)
- "It was a very sad time for me but I felt comfortable & aware that I was not alone & that staff & facilities were faulktless" (AR)
- "Excellent & easy." (GD)
- "We would like to express our thanks to all the staff of 'Memoria' for providing their most professional and personal service, this extended to the days before the service when we were shown around the building and the grounds and all aspects of what was to come explained and fears allayed.
The day of the service itself was carried out with such ease and total respect. We also used the web cam service as my daughter is in Australia and this gave her a live link with a true sense of being part of her Granddad's farewell.
Little did we know at the time that the web cam, was to give solace to my Dad's brother, who didn't make the service in time (due to car breakdown on route from London).
We were able to show him the recording privately at home and review the day for ourselves also, which gave great comfort in all the choices we had made for the day!
I would recommend the web cam for any of the above reasons, as sometimes the unforeseen can happen!
I would like to finish on the note that we received such warm comments from family and friends on the day and since of what a good farewell Dad had...
This made us proud that we chose 'Memoria' for my Dad's final journey."
Kind regards, (PH)
- "Organised so that it felt private and dignified. As pleasant an experience as possible under such difficult circumstances." (LG)
- "The service received from your staff was outstanding. We were shown nothing but empathy and respect from start to finish. Your facilities were immaculate. Our family sends our deepest thanks to you all." (MD)
- "Very well organised in a lovely setting. Plenty of car parking and clear signage." (JW)
- "A perfect environment for arguably the most difficult time of your life." (NW)
- "I would like to thank you for all your help over the last few weeks - the plots are perfect and the rose bushes look strong." (AC)
- "I thought that the level of service given at my Husband's funeral excellent." (AJ)
- "We were really pleased with the way the service was held and the way the service was conducted." (MT)
- "A short journey to the Cardiff & Glamorgan facility is less stressful than the longer dash to Coychurch or Thornhill when roads are congested." (EL)
- "Excellent." (MW)
- "Impressed. Lovely setting." (MT)
- "Thank you for the kindness and respect shown to us and for the professional and dignified manner in which you carried out the service for my late Husband." (MC)
- "Thank you. The grounds, buildings etc are beautiful. The service was conducted with care and attention. There was no feeling of being rushed when we were saying our goodbyes." (JL)
- "We are very happy to have this well kept, well run facility here in Barry. " (JH)
- "We were very impressed and comforted in our choice of using your memorial Park. Thank-you." (PE)
- "The whole atmosphere and appearance of the Chapel and surroundings gives an aire of peace and tranquillity at a very distressing time. We were very impressed and comforted in our choice of using your Memorial Park. Thank you."
- "With many thanks for all your kindness, care and attention at all times." (DM)
- "Thank you again for your professionalism and support in my time of grief." (VD)
- "All the very best and thanks for all your help." (JH)
- "Dear Mr Hodgson,
I wish to express my sincere thanks to you, regarding your staff at the crematorium.
I have been in the funeral profession for 18 years and have dealt with many crematoriums in that time, but none of them have the professionalism, dignity, empathy and understanding as your staff have installed at the crematorium.
All the staff praise your high standards that you insist upon and which quite clearly show in their daily duties, which are above and beyond what is expected.
Their attention to detail, adaptability, and over all control of very large funerals is a credit to them as well as yourself, and it is a pleasure to arrive at the crematorium to be greeted professionally and caringly.
Thanks to Jane, Claire, Craig and Christopher for all their efforts as I'm sure you are as proud of them as I am impressed.
Lord Paul J M Wheadon
- "To the staff of Barry Crematorium,
We recently attended a funeral of our Aunt. The committal was calm, dignified and the crematorium lent just the right tone to the service. We wanted to let you know how much it helped us deal with a difficult day." (CG)
- "Superb facility. The ability to choose any music is excellent, very fitting place for a funeral." (JM)
- "I don't think the service or anything can be improved on. I have now seen where my husband and I are going from and I am happy. Thank you so much." (LM)
- "To Jane & Colleagues (especially Craig),
Thank you so much for all the planning for the funeral of my Aunt. The service was well received." (JS)
- "Beautiful" (MF)